Roadside assist leads to arrest of suspect with stolen license plate

Google Maps/Courtesy

A roadside assist by a Berkeley Police Department officer led to the arrest of a suspect with a stolen license plate on Sunday, according to an email from BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White.

At 9:46 p.m. Sunday, officers found a blue Honda Civic having engine trouble on the 1100 block of Delaware Street, according to the email. The officers determined that the vehicle was unable to shift into the drive gear. As officers were working on solving the vehicle trouble, they found that the vehicle’s license plates were registered to a Toyota Corolla — a different vehicle — whose license plates had been reported stolen.

According to the email, the officers detained the car’s occupants, a 65-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman. After searching the pair, officers found a recently used methamphetamine pipe in the woman’s pants.

The woman, identified as Norma Patricia Perez from Berkeley, was arrested on suspicion of forging/altering vehicle registration, possession of stolen property, possession of narcotics paraphernalia and violation of probation, according to the email. The 65-year-old man was released at the scene.

Sabrina Dong is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Sabrina_Dong_.