Transportation commission plans construction for Gilman Street, Interstate 80 intersection

Celine Bellegarda/Staff

The Alameda County Transportation Commission, or Alameda CTC, entered into a partnership with the city of Berkeley and Caltrans to improve the Gilman Street intersection with Interstate 80, according to Alameda CTC Deputy Executive Director of Planning and Policy Tess Lengyel.

According to a fact sheet published in January by Alameda CTC, the project will add two roundabouts, a new traffic signal and safer lanes for pedestrians and bicycles proximate to the highway exit. Lengyel said the project is estimated to cost about $55.4 million in total and said the project is a major priority of the city of Berkeley, which is part of the reason that Alameda CTC initiated the project.

“We need to create a vision that reflects 21st century transportation, including multimodal accessibility,” said Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín in an email. “As a member of the Alameda County Transportation Commission, I want to make sure that our public bay trails are easily accessible to those on foot or bike, while improving traffic flow on the notoriously congested freeway.”

According to the fact sheet, the Gilman Street and I-80 intersection currently has issues with higher than average rates of injury collisions, significant roadway deficiencies, back-ups in the left-turn lane and a lack of safe pedestrian and bike lanes. It says the project will address these issues to increase safety and improve efficiency.

According to Lengyel, an environmental clearance is in progress for the project, which is estimated to be completed later this year. She added that construction on the project is planned to begin in late 2020.

“These interchanges were designed in the 1950s and have become antiquated,” Arreguín said in an email. “With help from regional, statewide, and federal funding, and a robust public process, we will be able to develop a transportation network that meets the needs of our constituents.”

Contact Kate Finman at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.