Cal Athletics hires Charmin Smith as women’s basketball head coach

Just nine days after former Cal women’s basketball head coach Lindsay Gottlieb resigned and made NBA history, the Bears have a new leader calling the shots. Charmin Smith has been given the upgrade of all upgrades, as her 12-year stint as assistant coach has come to an end in the best way.

Smith will become the 10th Cal women’s basketball coach in the program’s storied history after spending the past decade aiding in recruitment, scheduling and campus inclusion.

“I am excited and honored to have the opportunity to lead this program and the amazing young women in it. I am grateful to Jim Knowlton for trusting me to keep building the tradition of excellence that is Cal basketball,” Smith said in a press release. “I am incredibly proud of what this program has already accomplished under the direction of both Joanne and Lindsay, and I am thrilled to continue the work of preparing our student-athletes for success both on the court and beyond.”

Cal has earned ten 20-win seasons, made nine NCAA Tournament appearances and reached the Final Four for the first time in 2013 with Smith on staff. A Stanford basketball great and WNBA veteran, Smith is more than capable of advancing the legacy Gottlieb left behind.

“I am extremely excited that Charmin has agreed to lead our women’s basketball program. With a dozen years as a member of our staff under both Joanne Boyle and Lindsay Gottlieb, she has a deep understanding of Cal and Cal basketball,” said Cal Athletic Director Jim Knowlton in the press release.

Smith will be introduced as head coach in a press conference Tuesday at 11 a.m. at the Field Club at California Memorial Stadium.

Spencer Golanka is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @sgolanka.