How to figure out if you have a bad case of body odor

Boston Student Loan Lawyer/Creative Commons

Summer is here, and that means our sweaty days are back. Sweating is essential for us because it’s our bodies’ way of cooling themselves and preventing heat exhaustion. However, with sweat comes body odor, or B.O. You don’t want your friends and partners running away because you smell a little ripe. In order to prevent that, here are a few ways you can check if you have B.O.

Smell your clothes after a long day.

While others can usually smell your odor, you yourself can’t smell your B.O. just by sniffing your body. That’s because you get so used to the smell that you become immune to it. To solve this issue, take your clothes off after a long sweaty day, but don’t smell them right away. Shower first in order to give your nose a break and get rid of your natural odor. Then, smell your clothes. Chances are, you’ll smell the sweaty, musty odor your body may have been giving off and can prevent it in the future.

Rub your scalp and smell your fingers.

B.O. can sometimes come from your hair, and the smell of your hair comes from your scalp. For that reason, you should make sure your scalp doesn’t stink by rubbing your scalp with your fingertips and then smelling your fingers. If you detect an unpleasant odor, you should consider jumping in the shower as soon as possible. If you don’t, you’re good to go. It may seem a little gross, but it does the job!

Blow into your hand and smell it.

Checking if your saliva smells is a good way to make sure you don’t have bad breath. The feeling of not knowing whether your breath smells is the most annoying, and you spend the whole day self-conscious about your breath. Make sure you don’t have bad breath by blowing into your hand and then smelling it. If it smells, you should run to the nearest store and buy yourself a pack of gum or mints. If it doesn’t, you’re off the hook (for now).

Diagnose your sweat and odor.

You have to make sure your perspiration and odor aren’t caused by an unknown condition. Your body has many ways to tell you about what’s going on inside, and perspiration and odor are definitely a couple of them. If you think you smell unusually pungent, you should check if it could be the result of some lifestyle change you’ve recently made. Sometimes, new medications, natural hormonal changes and stress can alter your smell. Other times, it may be a symptom of a serious medical issue.

These are a few basic ways to check if you have B.O. Asking a friend if you smell is another option, but more often than not, we prefer to check ourselves. Stay hydrated, stay hygienic, and you won’t have to worry about B.O.

Contact Christina Kim at [email protected].