Cal baseball’s All-Pac-12 slugger Quentin Selma to participate in College Home Run Derby

Isabella Ko/Staff

While his season has been over for about a month, Cal baseball’s Quentin Selma will get another opportunity in the spotlight, as he will participate in the Rocket Mortgage College Home Run Derby at TD Ameritrade Park on Saturday.

Selma, an All-Pac-12 first-team selection, had a career year as a sophomore in 2019, hitting .311 with 10 home runs and 27 RBI. His .584 slugging percentage is the highest among returning players as well.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I’m honored,” Selma said in a press release. “Super excited to go back there and just play and see what I can do.”

Throwing to Selma in the derby will be Darin Ghimenti, a family friend who coaches at Fresno City College with Selma’s father, Bart.

“That was the most familiar arm I could set myself up with,” Selma said. “I think it’ll be a great experience to have him there with me too.”

Also participating in the derby are Chris Lanzilli (Wake Forest), Griffin Doersching (Northern Kentucky), Michael Rothenberg (Duke), T.J. Collett (Kentucky) and Tyler Keenan (Ole Miss).

Much like most returning college baseball players, Selma is currently playing summer ball. In eight games for the Santa Barbara Foresters of the California Collegiate League, the third baseman has had a rough go-around, hitting .194 with no extra base hits.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.