Cal men’s basketball alumnus Ivan Rabb flashes good, bad in Salt Lake City

Daniel Kim/File

Cal men’s basketball alumnus Ivan Rabb had a mixed performance in two games with the Memphis Grizzlies in the Salt Lake City Summer League, averaging 7.0 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists on 29 percent shooting.

While the raw per-game averages may indicate Rabb’s performance wasn’t up to snuff, a bit of context is required, as his respective performances in the two games were night and day.

In his first contest against the Utah Jazz, Rabb ended with 14 points, four rebounds and one assist in 25 minutes, shooting 4 of 9 from the field. Rabb threw down a couple thunderous slams out of the pick and roll, knocked down a corner three and made a nice pass to a cutter from the high post.

Rabb’s second and final game in Utah, however, was one he’d like to forget, as he went scoreless in 25 minutes, missing all five of his shots. His only consolation was that he pulled down five boards and dished out two assists.

The forward will have an opportunity to redeem himself in the Las Vegas Summer League, where he will likely receive big minutes. In Sin City, Rabb will have the opportunity to play alongside Ja Morant, the No. 2 pick in the 2019 NBA draft.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.