Cal men’s basketball alumnus Tyrone Wallace waived by Los Angeles Clippers

Phillip Downey/File

Cal men’s basketball alumnus Tyrone Wallace was waived by the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

The move comes in the wake of the Clippers acquiring Kawhi Leonard in free agency and Paul George via trade, a pair of moves that have shaken the NBA landscape to its core.

After a strong rookie campaign in 2017-18 in which he averaged 9.7 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 28.4 minutes, Wallace saw his role reduced this past season, having to play behind the likes of Lou Williams, Patrick Beverley and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, among others. In 62 contests in 2018-19, Wallace only played 10.1 minutes per game, averaging 3.5 points, 1.6 rebounds and 0.7 assists.

Wallace agreed to a two-year, $3 million contract with the New Orleans Pelicans as a restricted free agent in September 2018, but the Clippers elected to match, keeping him in Los Angeles. The deal was fully guaranteed for the 2018-19 season, but not guaranteed for the 2019-20 season. Wallace’s contract would have become partially guaranteed for $300,000 in September and fully guaranteed for the full $1.5 million in January.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.