Cal women’s basketball earns 1st commitment of Charmin Smith era

Rayanne Piaña/File

Cal women’s basketball has landed its first recruit under new head coach Charmin Smith, earning a commitment from point guard Leilani McIntosh.

“Leilani is a dynamic guard who always caught my eye on the recruiting circuit,” Smith said in a press release. “She is a great facilitator who can also create offense for herself, and has a high basketball IQ. Leilani is the perfect addition to this already talented 2019 class, and I couldn’t be any more thrilled to have such a high-character young lady as my first recruit.

McIntosh arrives in Berkeley after an accomplished career at Xavier College Preparatory in Phoenix, Arizona, where she was the 2019 6A Premier Region Player of the Year and became a member of the school’s 1,000-point club.

The point guard does possess a connection to California, having played club ball for West Coast Premier alongside fellow recruit Cailyn Crocker.

McIntosh is the fourth member of the Bears’ incoming class, joining Crocker, Evelien Lutje Schipholt and Jazlen Green.

With Asha Thomas having graduated and Kianna Smith electing to transfer to Louisville, McIntosh may have the opportunity to receive significant minutes right out of the gate.

Justice delos Santos is the assistant sports editor. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos.