Safe sunbathing: The Clog’s power ranking of sunscreens

sunscreen bottles and long hair
Olivia Staser/Staff

Being in the sun is all fun and games until someone gets roasted. And we mean by the sun and not by your one brutally honest friend. Don’t worry, because the Clog’s quite literally got your back. We’ve ranked the best sunscreens based on how good they are for your skin and how much they protect you from the sun.

1. Aveeno

Aveeno’s sunscreens are usually combined with their lotions, so you get the best of both. Everyone needs a little moisturization in their life — everyone — and it’s great that this sunscreen combines a bunch of things that are good for your skin. The only drawback is that it’s relatively greasy and sometimes gets into your eyes if applied too close to them.

1. Banana Boat

Most of you probably used this as a kid to protect you from the sun, and there’s good reason for that. It puts up with sweat, water and tons of physical activity in the sweltering heat. If you want to keep your skin the way it was before you stepped into the sun (unburnt) without worrying about your sunscreen failing, Banana Boat is for you. (Plus, it doesn’t smell half bad.)

1. Coppertone

Coppertone is a household name as far as sunscreen goes, and it’s been around for years. That’s also how you know this brand is good. They’ve made tons of sunscreens in all different sizes, finishes and SPFs — you name it. Do you want to shimmer on the beach? Coppertone has sunscreen with glitter particles in it. Need a small sunscreen to take on the go? Coppertone has a small one on a keychain so you can put it on your bag. It dries fast and doesn’t leave residue on your face or body. 

1. Kiehl’s

Kiehl’s makes sunscreen, too! You’ll be in good hands with this skincare powerhouse, which makes sunscreen with tons of vitamins and protective barriers to keep you safe from the sun. It’s definitely a pricey sunscreen, but if you want an expensive sunscreen (that works) that you can rub in everyone’s faces, this one’s for you.

1. Supergoop

While this brand is a front-runner in the makeup industry, it pulls its weight in sunscreen, too. This sunscreen smells great, and it’s mainly for your face, packed with ingredients that even reverse sun damage and leave your skin feeling soft. 

1. Neutrogena

Neutrogena 100-plus SPF sunscreen is our winner. Neutrogena is known for catering to sensitive skin, so it doesn’t have any harmful additives in its sunscreen. Plus, SPF 100-plus is the ultimate protector from the sun. Your skin will stay as pale as that of a vampire! That’s the look we’re all going for here, isn’t it? In all honesty, this sunscreen is the best bang for your buck.

Before you slather yourself in one of these sunscreens and frolic in the sun, still be wary of UV rays that sunscreen may not protect you from. Remember to always reapply and wear hats so you don’t turn into a lobster!

Pooja Bale is the blog editor. Contact Pooja Bale at [email protected].