It’s late Friday night and you’re hungry — here’s where to eat

Late-night places to eat
Jenn Zeng/Senior Staff

We all know how it goes: You prepare yourself by eating a hearty dinner, you go out and make it through the night relatively unscathed. Then, somehow, you lose all concept of monetary value in your quest to satisfy those late-night cravings. Here’s a list of where to eat on Berkeley’s Southside — really, more like on Durant Avenue. 

1. Top Dog: Garlic frankfurter, hot and sweet mustard, sauerkraut — three steps should be easy enough, right?
  2. Taco Bell Cantina: A Chalupa Cravings Box costs $5 and comes with nacho cheese you can eat with your fingers. Let’s face it: You know you want to. For a few extra bucks, you can keep the party going with their strongest beer on tap.
  3. Artichoke Basille’s Pizza: Yeah, you’ll probably spill sauce on your leg, but that salty, cheesy goodness is worth it. Hit spots No. 1 through No. 3 in order to know what it feels like to win at life.
  4. CREAM: All you have to do is choose how you’re going to cure the feels: Should you get a pint of ice cream or half a dozen cookies of your choice?
  5. Thai Basil: It’s cash only, but honestly, you could probably just pick a random number, select that menu item and still enjoy it.
  6. King Pin Donuts: Check ahead of time to see if they’re making fresh donut holes. If so, grab half a dozen and enjoy every last greasy, frosting-y, cakey bite.

It’s only the middle of summer, but if you’re anything like me, you already miss hanging out with your closest Berkeley friends. Once fall semester rolls around, refer back to this list and relive the spontaneity that comes with school being in session by exploring what Southside has to offer late at night.

Contact Abhi Varma at [email protected].