Cal tailback Marcel Dancy earns Allstate AFCA Good Works Team nomination

Isabella Ko/Staff

Last season, former Cal running back Patrick Laird was one of 11 Football Bowl Subdivision student-athletes on the 2018 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team for his work spearheading his Summer Reading Challenge, part of his Walk On Then Run Foundation. A year later, another Cal tailback is seeking to follow in his footsteps.

On Tuesday morning, junior Marcel Dancy was named Cal’s nominee for the 2019 team. In 2018, Dancy began volunteering as a coach for the Oakland Dynamites youth football and cheer organization, a nonprofit program seeking to mentor youth in sports and foster teamwork skills on and off the field.

The final members of the 2019 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team will be revealed in September by a voting panel. To be nominated to the selection pool, each student-athlete must be an active member of a charitable organization or service group while maintaining a strong academic standing in the classroom.

In the past six years, Cal has had three student-athletes earn spots on the team — linebacker Nick Forbes (2013), running back Jeffrey Coprich Jr. (2014) and Laird (2018).

Dancy, who is originally from East Oakland, arrived at Cal last summer after transferring from nearby Laney College. Although he redshirted his first season in blue and gold, he participated in four contests and racked up 81 yards on the ground and one touchdown.

Entering his redshirt junior season, Dancy is in the mix to replace Laird as Cal’s primary tailback in the backfield.

Josh Yuen covers football. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.