The best places you can go visit in Hayes Valley, San Francisco

Illustration of front of Monsieur Benjamin restaurant
Vivian Du/Staff

If you’re planning on visiting San Francisco anytime soon, head over to Hayes Valley, one of the many exquisite neighborhoods within the Golden Gate City. From gastronomical cuisine to haute couture, this hub of creativity has got it all. Here are five go-to spots that truly highlight the innovative and artistic culture of the region.

Azalea

Azalea is a San Francisco-based boutique that highlights the simplicity of normcore style while adding a luxurious flair. It features a number of high-end labels, from Alexander Wang to AGOLDE, putting emphasis on the quality of clothing rather than the quantity. With two locations in San Francisco, the brand has its flagship store in Hayes Valley — a must-stop shop for those who are itching to add a new, stylish piece to their wardrobe.

b8ta

b8ta is a retail-as-a-service store that allows you to test out innovative electronics that you might have seen while scrolling through your feed one morning but weren’t quite ready to commit to buying. From self-cleaning water bottles to invisible keyboards, this gadget wonderland embodies the notion of thinking outside the box. Even if you aren’t looking to buy anything, it’s worth spending a couple minutes inside to tinker with the latest inventions b8ta has to offer — you might find you really do need a zero-gravity workstation.

Monsieur Benjamin

As you find yourself strolling down Gough Street, you’ll become completely enthralled by the entirely glass exterior and neon light signage of Monsieur Benjamin. The design of the restaurant is enough of a reason to love it, but the food is what’ll make you want to return. Its lovely selection of French appetizers, including beef tartare and crab rillette, make for a light and refreshing way to conclude your evening in Hayes Valley.

Rich Table

When it comes to distinguishing the best of the culinary world, Rich Table easily makes the cut for Hayes Valley as well as the greater San Francisco area. Unlike most Michelin-starred restaurants out there, Rich Table, which holds one star to its name, adheres to a casual dress code and maintains a lax ambience throughout the restaurant, putting the focus on the the main star, the food. Made from fresh and locally sourced ingredients, the dishes will linger in your mouth for days. Don’t leave without trying the dried porcini doughnuts, a savory sensation that you’d have never thought to create.

Undefeated

If you’re in need for some new kicks, Undefeated is a sneakerhead haven with an assortment of general release shoes and coveted sneakers up for the occasional raffle. Not to mention, the brand regularly collaborates with big names including A Bathing Ape, Nike and Anti Social Social Club, so be on the lookout for upcoming projects that catch your eye.

The lively, vivacious nature of Hayes Valley reflects itself in the surrounding food and fashion shops, making for an unforgettable experience that you don’t want to miss out on. Allocate your entire day to exploring the neighborhood to get a genuine feel for what makes Hayes so special.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .