Wymbo app seeks to notify students about events, opportunities at UC Berkeley

Stephanie Li/Senior Staff

Update 7/17/2019: This article has been updated to include information from Raja Riahi.

A team of two app developers is working on a new app called Wymbo to help UC Berkeley students more easily navigate the campus’s many events and activities.

The co-founders of Wymbo, Haas School of Business student Raja Riahi and campus computer science alumnus Shawn Magee, are operating within Berkeley SkyDeck, a UC Berkeley startup accelerator and incubator program, to develop the app. According to Riahi, Wymbo strives to efficiently connect students with resources, events and opportunities on campus and is set to be released on both the iOS and Android app stores August 27.

“Wymbo is a discovery platform,” Riahi said. “Basically, how it works is that students can choose what types of things they’re interested in, and Wymbo will show them whatever related opportunities are going on around campus.”

According to Riahi, the app will be especially beneficial to new students on campus, including transfer and graduate students. Riahi said he and Magee decided to create the app with their own experiences as transfer students to UC Berkeley in mind — being transfer students gave them “limited time to get the hang of what was going on around campus.”

Riahi said the app will have a significant impact on UC Berkeley’s students, as they will have access to information on upcoming events and opportunities. Open to UC Berkeley’s more than 1,000 student organizations, the app will serve as a platform to further connect students to the campus.

“Our goal as a team is to use technology to bring people outside rather than just keeping them on their phones or computers,” Riahi said. “We thought developing this app would be a cool plan because students can use this technology to find places to get that human connection.”

Besides creating a platform for students to discover opportunities on campus, Riahi said student organizations will also benefit from the app. These organizations will be able to notify their members of upcoming events through the app and keep track of which members are attending.

UC Berkeley students are also excited about the release of Wymbo. According to Andrew Young, an incoming campus junior, though he thinks he might be overwhelmed by the number of events to attend, an app like Wymbo would “enhance” his college experience.

Riahi also said he believes Wymbo will help combat student stress.

“Most of the stress students at Berkeley experience comes from academics, but some of this stress is also students having the fear of missing out: wanting to do more but not knowing what to do next,” Riahi said. “Wymbo will take a lot of this stress away by showing students what they can do.”

Contact Selena Liu at [email protected].