Berkeley releases 1st draft of long-term plan for Adeline Corridor

Nirvana Ellaboudy/Staff

After a four-year community planning process to develop a long-term plan for the Adeline Corridor, the first draft of the plan was released in May, according to the websites for the city of Berkeley and Mayor Jesse Arreguín. 

Officially titled the Adeline Corridor Specific Plan, the first draft details a “community vision and planning framework” designed in hopes of “carrying the legacy of South Berkeley” and its cultural and economic diversity, according to the official draft plan.

According to the draft, over the next 20 years, the plan for the Adeline Corridor will focus on preserving and developing affordable housing for community members while providing local economic opportunities through the growth of community businesses and organizations. 

“The Adeline Corridor Specific Plan … establishes a comprehensive community vision and a planning framework for how the corridor should evolve into the future,” the draft reads. “The Plan is intended to guide future public and private actions relating to the Plan Area’s development to realize the community vision.”

The plan for the Adeline Corridor has been in development since 2015, when the city of Berkeley began a community planning process that aimed to reflect “community aspirations” in the plan, including the opinions of various stakeholders, according to the draft. 

“This Plan balances the desires and aspirations of (a) diverse group of community members and stakeholders, as well as local and regional initiatives with competing objectives,” the draft states.

Included in the plan area is a variety of commercial, cultural, civic and residential land uses, including the Ashby BART station and AC Transit bus stops, according to the draft. 

Additionally, according to Arreguín, the plan aims to preserve and extend the cultural and economic legacy of the Adeline Corridor by upholding equity in decisions about the community’s future.

“This comprehensive land use plan presents a vision for an equitable and dynamic South Berkeley, and reflects the extensive public comment and outreach,” Arreguín said in a newsletter on his website.

The plan is designed to develop 50 percent of new housing as affordable to help with current issues of displacement, according to the newsletter. Furthermore, the plan aims to transform the Ashby BART parking lot into affordable housing and a community plaza. 

Funding for the plan will come from federal, state and regional resources, including grant funds for affordable housing projects, according to the draft. Additionally, the city of Berkeley will act as a funding source, as community voters have approved ballot measures that can help the plan achieve its goals economically.

“(The Adeline Corridor) will be the center of a healthy community that cares for its most vulnerable residents, cherishes its elders, nurtures its youth, and welcomes households of all types,” the draft reads. “It will be a place where the people, places, and institutions that have made South Berkeley what it is today are recognized and celebrated.”

Contact Sydney Hilbush at [email protected].