Berkeley police arrest man on suspicion of kidnapping for rape, forced oral copulation, robbery

Google Maps/Courtesy

Thirty-six-year-old Demetrius Johnson was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping for rape, forced oral copulation and robbery Tuesday, according to an email from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

The suspect was arrested after he approached a person who was walking their dog in the area of Dwight Way and Hillegass Avenue at 7:27 a.m., according to the email. The suspect allegedly threatened that he had a gun and forced the victim to a secluded location, where the suspect allegedly sexually assaulted the victim and and took the victim’s cellphone.

According to the email, BPD officers quickly responded to the scene and were able to detain the suspect as he was running away.

The victim was taken to a local hospital for medical evaluation. The email requests that anyone with information about this crime contact the BPD’s Sex Crimes Unit at 510-981-5735.

Emily Hom is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hom_emily.

A previous version of this article stated that Demetrius Johnson was arrested Wednesday. In fact, the arrest took place Tuesday.