Police arrest man on suspicion of sexual battery

The Berkeley Police Department, or BPD, arrested a 37-year-old man on suspicion of several instances of sexual battery on Monday, according to a community-wide Nixle alert.

There were three reported incidents of sexual battery, according to the alert – all of which were instigated by the suspect, who approached the victims on a bicycle. After approaching the victims, according to the alert, the suspect “grabbed them by their buttocks and/or genital area.”

Two of the three incidents occurred on the morning of Thursday July 18, one to a woman walking near the intersection of Bancroft Way and Fulton Street, the other to a woman walking on the 2400 block of Channing Way. The third incident occurred the next evening, on Friday July 19 to a woman walking by the intersection of Hearst Avenue and Walnut Street.

According to the alert, two detectives from the BPD Sex Crimes Unit “spotted a person who looked like the suspect” riding a bicycle in Downtown Berkeley. They arrested the man who was identified as Jodonnell Powell, on suspicion of sexual battery and violation of his probation after detaining and investigating him.

Ben Klein is an assistant news editor. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @BenKlein_dc.