Jury finds Berkeley man guilty of attempted kidnapping of Berkeley High School student

On Tuesday, a group of 12 jurors found Alphonzo McInnis guilty on a count of kidnapping for the purposes of sexual assault and three counts of forcible rape of a minor, in addition to enhancements for aggravated kidnapping of a minor during the course of a sexual assault.

McInnis was also charged with a second count of kidnapping for the purposes of sexual assault in connection to a later incident, but the jury was unable to come to a unanimous decision on the charge, voting 11-1 that McInnis was guilty, according to Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Teresa Drenick.

The case’s jury trial commenced June 18 and lasted for more than a month. Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Nick Homer prosecuted the case, assisted by Inspectors Veronica Ibarra and Shan Johnson, victim advocate Stephanie Lynch and Berkeley Police Department Detectives Darren Kacalek and Eddie Diaz. Sydney Levin of the Alameda County Public Defender’s Office represented McInnis.

“Berkeley police were able to locate the defendant’s apartment in Oakland where they found a realistic looking replica firearm and clothes that matched the description of both victims,” Drenick said in an email. “He is facing life without the possibility of parole.”

The events involved in the trial occurred in April 2018. According to Drenick, McInnis sexually assaulted a 15-year-old Berkeley High School freshman girl on April 19, 2018. McInnis held the victim at gunpoint. The girl sustained “significant injuries,” according to Drenick, and later reported the assault to her teacher.

Nine days later, McInnis allegedly attempted to kidnap a 19-year-old campus freshman near her residence hall at gunpoint. According to Drenick, the victim fought her attacker and was able to get away. She was not assaulted.

BPD identified McInnis after the second attack by comparing DNA evidence left on the two victims. He was identified by his second victim, according to Drenick. The police also released a surveillance video of the second attack to elicit community input regarding the defendant’s identity. It was taken down after he was identified.

The incidents in question were not McInnis’ first charges. He was convicted of unlawful sexual activity in 2008 in Contra Costa County and of robbery in 2015 in Alameda County.

McInnis’ case will appear before the court again Aug. 22 for a court trial on his prior convictions, according to Drenick. At the court date, a judge will decide whether his past convictions will be factored into his sentence. A sentencing date has not yet been set.

Contact Kate Finman at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.