Berkeley man arrested on suspicion of repeated sexual battery

Update 8/1/2019: This article has been updated to include information from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

Twenty-four-year-old Berkeley man William Sanchez-Gomez was arrested Sunday on suspicion of repeated sexual battery, according to an email from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

According to White, five cases of sexual battery have been reported to BPD since July 14. In all of the cases, the suspect approached the victims on a bicycle “and grabbed them by their buttocks,” according to White.

The first case occurred on the morning of July 14 to a woman walking on the 1900 block of Channing Way. The subsequent three reported batteries occurred the following Thursday and Friday — on Thursday afternoon to a woman walking near the intersection of Francisco and Milvia streets, on Friday afternoon to a woman walking on the 1900 block of Hearst Avenue, and on Friday evening to a woman walking near the intersection of Hearst Avenue and Grant Street, according to White’s email.

The fifth battery occurred Sunday evening to a woman walking on the 2000 block of Blake Street. After the battery, officers spotted Sanchez-Gomez riding his bicycle near Sacramento Street and Dwight Way. Officers detained Sanchez-Gomez, and after questioning him, they arrested him on suspicion of committing the sexual batteries.

Ben Klein is an assistant news editor. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @BenKlein_dc.