5 things to do in Berkeley before the summer ends

As we enter August, you might find yourself suffering from a case of the end-of-summer blues. Seriously, how did three months pass by that quickly? But fear not — we still have a few weeks to fully enjoy the summer in Berkeley. If you’re looking for ways to take advantage of your last days of freedom, here are some things you should do in Berkeley before the summer ends. 

Attend a concert at the Greek Theatre

Take advantage of Berkeley’s warm summer weather and attend an outdoor concert at the Hearst Greek Theatre. The Greek is a staple Berkeley establishment, and it attracts tons of amazing artists every year. Summer through early fall is peak Greek season — upcoming acts include Shakey Graves, Young the Giant and the Avett Brothers. Get your tickets and enjoy good music in an even better setting.

Take a swim at Strawberry Canyon Pool

This pool has summertime written all over it. Lounge in the sun, swim some laps or join a game of chicken surrounded by the beautiful scenery of the Berkeley fire trails. Unfortunately, the pool is only open seasonally, so make sure you pay it a visit before the summer comes to a close.

Picnic on the Glade

Whether it’s due to sunny weather or reduced course loads, campus just feels more alive during the summer. There’s no better place to completely enjoy the beauty of a Berkeley summer than underneath the sunshine on Memorial Glade. One of these afternoons, gather some friends and some snacks, and have a picnic on the Glade.

Take a walk through Elmwood

When school starts, you’ll probably get a lot busier. Use the free time you have now to leisurely stroll through Elmwood, one of Berkeley’s most charming neighborhoods. Maybe do some window shopping or grab some gelato from the Italian Homemade Company. Drop into Mrs. Dalloway’s bookstore and pick out something to read for fun (a wild concept, we know). 

Spend an afternoon at Lake Anza

Nestled inside Tilden Regional Park is another great seasonal swimming spot, Lake Anza. Picnic or sunbathe on the lake’s sandy beach, or take a walk around the water’s perimeter on the Lake Anza Loop. You’ll be taking advantage of Berkeley’s sunshine and natural beauty at the same time. It’s the perfect activity to close out a Berkeley summer!

Okay, so August crept up on us. But the summer’s not over yet. We still have a few weeks to enjoy the most beautiful season in our beloved city — go forth and make some summer memories!

Contact Margo Salah at [email protected].