A curated list of YouTube’s best food and cooking videos

YouTube/Courtesy

I’m a big fan of browsing YouTube’s cooking and food-related videos and saving them to my Watch Later playlist. It’s simultaneously a relaxing and productive activity if you’re a fan of food and cooking. Below is a curated list of my personal favorites.

“Sauces | Basics with Babish”

A great cooking video for starters. I’ve made the mac and cheese, and it’s freaking awesome. This video includes essential skills for any home cook, like chopping, seasoning to taste, eyeballing doneness and many others. 

“Tartine Country Bread, start to finish”

This is a how-to video that follows the recipe for Tartine Bakery’s (located right here in San Francisco) famous sourdough bread verbatim. It covers how to make sourdough starter, which is a process that teaches patience and care for what you make in the kitchen. Making sourdough is a very time-consuming and labor-intensive process, but trust me when I say it’s worth every second. 

“Brad and Claire Make Sourdough Bread | It’s Alive | Bon Appétit”

This one’s another great guide for sourdough. It includes the lovable Brad Leone and Claire Saffitz, one of my favorite duos over at Bon Appétit’s test kitchen. 

“Francis Mallmann – Truth”

Nothing is better than sage advice about spending time with quality people from the iconic Francis Mallmann. Mallmann is one of my favorite celebrity chefs because his food is not pretentious and also does not come in small portions, a quality that I find very annoying about most Michelin-starred restaurants. I highly recommend watching his episode of “Chef’s Table” on Netflix — episode three of the first season. 

“The 10,000-Calorie Diet: This is What Sumo Wrestlers Eat”

As stated in the YouTube comments on this video, this guy is literally a “human antidepressant.” I loved learning about the different culture surrounding food in Japan. This is a great video at showing how easy and simple it can be to cook at home regularly. 

“Roasted Tomato Sauce”

The best video from Adam Ragusea’s up-and-coming YouTube channel, in my honest opinion. Tomato sauces can often come out one-dimensional and boring, so I loved the idea of incorporating roasty flavors into this classic sauce. 

I encourage you to scroll through YouTube’s countless cooking and food videos and see what you like. It’s something that really helped me identify my style when I first started out cooking. Happy clicking!

Contact Abhi Varma at [email protected].