Investigation into catalytic converter thefts in Berkeley continues after 2 arrests

Berkeley Police Department/Courtesy

Despite detectives arresting two suspects Wednesday, the investigation into the series of catalytic converter thefts in Berkeley is continuing, according to a Nixle alert sent by the Berkeley Police Department on Thursday afternoon.

According to the alert, detectives identified a suspect vehicle and placed an alert for other law enforcement agencies to detain the vehicle if found. The vehicle was believed to be connected to a series of catalytic converter thefts citywide that started in late July.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Piedmont Police Department spotted the vehicle in the city of Piedmont and notified BPD. Detectives from BPD traveled to Piedmont and took custody of the detained people after Piedmont officers detained the vehicle and its occupants.

Detectives arrested two suspects on suspicion of grand theft, conspiracy and possession of burglary tools, according to the alert. The arrested individuals were identified as 37-year old Briana Nicole Crisp, whose address was unknown, and 47-year-old Mauricio Romeo Navarrete from Oakland.

The alert stated that the investigation into catalytic converter thefts remains active and that BPD believes there may be more suspects involved in the thefts. BPD asked members of the community with information about the investigation to contact BPD’s Property Crimes Unit at 510-981-5737.

Sabrina Dong is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Sabrina_Dong_.

A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to Briana Nicole Crisp as Briana Nicole.