It’s tomato season! 4 simple recipes starring fresh tomatoes

Sunny Shen/Staff

It’s tomato season! Is it a fruit or a vegetable? Who cares — they’re ripe and gorgeous, and we’re ready to eat them. Here are four recipes that will let your in-season tomatoes absolutely shine. 

Pasta salad

Cool and fresh but hearty enough to get you through the day, pasta salad is a perfect summer dish. And of course, it’s a great vehicle for — you guessed it — tomatoes. Combine diced tomatoes with cooked rotini or bow-tie pasta, then add chopped cucumbers, green onion and avocado to your heart’s desire. Dress with grated parmesan cheese and Italian salad dressing. It’s simple, it’s healthy, and it’s perfect for tomato season. 

Caprese salad

You’ve probably had this classic before. To make a beautiful Caprese salad, all you need is fresh mozzarella, basil leaves and sliced tomatoes. Chop your ingredients and mix them together or lay them out on top of each other, authentic-style. Drizzle with olive oil and salt, and enjoy this refreshing summer side. 

Pico de gallo

Save on pre-made salsa from the store, and make your own pico de gallo, starring beautiful in-season tomatoes. Dice firm and ripe tomatoes as your base. Then, add minced garlic, poblano and jalapeño peppers, garlic and red onion. Throw in as much fresh cilantro as you like, and finish it off with a squeeze of lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. The key to a delicious salsa is balancing the salt, spice and acid correctly, so feel free to truly taste as you go.

Tomato soup

Making your own tomato soup is deceivingly impressive. It’s really so easy, anyone can do it! First, chop your fresh tomatoes and throw them in a pot over medium heat with sliced white onion, a few cloves and ample chicken or vegetable broth. Let it come to a boil, then let it simmer for an additional 15 minutes. In a separate pot, melt a few tablespoons of butter, and throw in a few pinches of flour to let it thicken up. Combine the two mixtures, season to your liking, and voila! You just made your own tomato soup!

Tomatoes are a beautiful, fresh and acidic addition to any recipe. In fact, don’t be surprised if you catch us eating a ripe heirloom tomato like an apple. Plus, there’s no better time than now to get your hands on some. Eat fresh, eat in-season, eat local, eat tomatoes!

Contact Margo Salah at [email protected].