4 song titles to describe your feelings toward the end of summer

Illustration of people wearing headphones
Ariel Lung/Senior Staff

For college students, summer provides a period of exhilarating freedom to do whatever you want. During the school year, you may find yourself to preoccupied with classes, extracurriculars and the general task of adulting. That’s where summer steps in to offer some genuine relief after your months of consistently stressing over exams and problem sets and trying to cook a meal other than Top Ramen noodles. Now that that start of the semester is upon us, here are four songs to perfectly express your mood in a way that only song titles are able to.

“The Less I Know the Better” — Tame Impala

When it comes to the start of school, sometimes knowing less is really better for truly enjoying the last weeks of summer. While it’s important to be prepared for and aware of the imminent semester, it’s equally crucial to make the most of your break. Plan an adventure with your friends. Catch up on your summer reading list. Watch a film you’ve been dying to see. The possibilities for fun are endless.

“Goodbyes” — Post Malone feat. Young Thug

Looks like Post Malone isn’t the only one bad at saying goodbye, as college students find it equally hard to leave behind their summer break. It’s a good thing that parting ways with summer’s sunny temperature doesn’t have to be as difficult as you think. The sweltering heat is something that we won’t be missing as we say hello to Berkeley’s cooler autumn season. Just think of all the pants you can wear without breaking a sweat.

“Bitter Sweet Symphony” — The Verve

What better word to sum up summer’s ending than “bittersweet”? Although the fall semester may conjure up emotions of despair, there are tons of exciting moments to look forward to. Returning to Berkeley means reuniting with your college friends, tons of boba and even some intellectually stimulating courses added to your daily schedule. So turn that frown upside down!

“Hot Girl Summer” — Megan Thee Stallion feat. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign

Summer break may only have a few weeks left in it, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still embrace a hot girl/guy/person summer. It’s a mantra that went viral throughout the summer months, but it isn’t restricted to just May, June and July. A hot person, as put best by Megan Thee Stallion, is someone who is “the life of the party. You have to be kind, you have to be confident.” All in all, it’s definitely an outlook that we can carry with us in our bags back to Berkeley.

The end of summer break may not have you exactly jumping for joy, but it’s also not a time of utter sadness. These four songs demonstrate that going back to school is seemingly tough but can be just as exciting as summer.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .