The Daily Californian releases fall 2018, spring 2019 hiring demographics

Pie charts showing demographics of Daily Cal applicants and acceptances
Jenn Zeng/Senior Staff

In order to continue our efforts of transparency and addressing newsroom diversity, we are releasing our hiring demographic data for the past year. The Daily Californian is committed to accurately representing our community and believes that diversity of staff and coverage is the only way to do so.

In the past few years, we have dedicated significant effort to fostering a diverse office and implementing key changes to improve our workplace environment. This past year, specifically, we introduced With Pride, a column focused on experiences within the LGBTQ+ community and published impact issues on rehabilitation, faith and transfer students, among other topics.

In spring 2019, we established a position on the Daily Cal’s semesterly hiring team dedicated entirely to diversity and inclusion. In January, our diversity, equity and inclusion hiring manager organized the Daily Cal’s first-ever application workshop.

We believe that remaining transparent with our community by publicly releasing demographic data is another step toward improving diversity, which is why we began to do so with last year’s numbers. As indicated by the numbers from fall 2018 and spring 2019, the Daily Cal still needs to improve immensely in the areas of diversity, inclusion and equity.

In this next year, we will continue to increase our outreach efforts and prioritize diversity and inclusivity within our office. We hope to do so by engaging in active flyering on Sproul Plaza and outside classrooms during recruitment season and using money from grants to improve resources and accessibility to computers, cameras and other equipment within the office. And our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee will continue its efforts to recognize our past misrepresentation of marginalized communities and make the Daily Cal accessible to groups that are underrepresented in our staff.

Soofie Motamedi is the editor in chief and president. Contact her at [email protected]