Berkeley police searching for suspect in Downtown Berkeley laptop robbery

google/Courtesy

Berkeley Police Department, or BPD, officers arrested one suspect and are searching for another — both in connection with a laptop robbery that occurred in Downtown Berkeley on Sunday, as seen in a YouTube video posted on BPDs YouTube channel, which was first reported on by Berkeleyside.

About 11:05 a.m. Sunday, two suspects entered Blue Bottle Coffee and grabbed laptops from two separate customers in the coffee shop, according to the videos description. One customer attempted to hold onto their laptop but the suspect pulled it away, and both suspects ran out of the shop.

A “good samaritan followed one of the suspects out of the shop and called the police, according to the description. When the suspect saw the “good samaritan following him, he dropped the stolen laptop. The suspect reached the intersection of Oxford Street and Addison Street, where a black SUV pulled up next to the suspect. In the video, the suspect is seen falling out of the vehicle after attempting to enter the passenger seat as it drove away.

The “good samaritan was able to monitor the suspect until officers arrived at the scene, where the 16-year-old suspect was arrested on suspicion of robbery.

The other suspect was described by witnesses as a Black male in his early 20s, about 5 feet 9 inches tall, with short hair and wearing a gray shirt.

BPD requests that anyone with further information about this incident call BPDs Robbery Unit at 510-981-5742.

Amanda Bradford is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @amandabrad_uc.