Cal-Washington football game resumes play after nearly 3 hour delay

Karen Chow/File

Updated 9/7/2019, 10:33 p.m.: This article has been updated to reflect the game resuming.

Cal football’s matchup with No. 14 Washington was suspended due to an extreme weather advisory after just five minutes of play, with a delay that lasted about two hours and 40 minutes.

According to University of Washington program officials, the weather advisory stemmed from lightning strikes in the surrounding areas. The Bears and the Huskies were taken off the field, and shortly thereafter fans were told to take cover under the concourse level.

Lightning strikes and light rain began in the nearby area shortly after the teams were evacuated from the field. At roughly the 30-minute mark of the delay, the stadium lights went out. 

About 8:30 p.m., the public address announcer said the game could not be restarted until 30 minutes after the last lightning strike within an 8 mile radius of the stadium. At this time, the lights were turned back on at Husky Stadium.

Huskies head coach Chris Petersen took the mic at about 10:10 p.m. to tell the crowd that the game will continue at 10:30 p.m. The players returned to the field at 10:15 p.m and the game resumed on time.

Josh Yuen covers football. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.