The Clog’s guide to stressing less this semester

Willow Yang/File

Stress continues to be a predominant trend in the lives of many college students. With tons of academic, social and personal pressures bestowed upon each student, it’s no wonder why stress seems to rapidly rise with the beginning of each semester. Sometimes pushing things to the side and masking your stress can seem like an easy fix, but when everything starts to pile up, you’ll instantly feel remorse for doing so. If you feel an overwhelming amount of stress creeping up on you, know that you’re never out of options, and you’re definitely not alone. Instead of stressing, here are four things you can do to help brighten your day and alleviate some of your worries.

Watch a movie.

Give your body and mind a moment to relax after a long day of shuffling from class to class and building to building. Watching a movie will only take a couple of hours out of your day, which in the grand scheme of things, isn’t much. As students, it’s easy to feel guilty for allocating time toward self-care rather than work, academics or friends. It’s important to remember, however, that your health comes first.

Hike the Big C.

Going on a hike is a relaxing way to get in your daily exercise without having to lift heavy weights or spend an hour on the treadmill. Breathe in the oxygen and enjoy the scenic view of campus that makes the hike all the more rewarding.

Make a healthy meal.

Eating a bag of Cheetos and instant ramen may check all the boxes for a college student’s diet, because they are both affordable and relatively tasty. But consistently eating junk food can take a toll on your health as well as your mood. Look up a healthier rendition of one of your favorite meals and head to the grocery store nearest you for all the ingredients. Cooking up a culinary masterpiece to call your very own helps to take the stress off of any situation and is something that is equally beneficial to your physical health.

Listen to your favorite songs.

Sometimes, nothing figuratively and literally sounds better than sitting down and listening to your favorite songs. Create a new playlist centered around some of your favorite artists, albums and songs, or fine-tune an old one if you already have one that’s similar. You can also take the time to find new music that you can add to your repertoire of tunes.

Devoting time in your schedule toward doing the things you find joy in is particularly important as a college student. When you find your routine becoming increasingly stressful, remember the importance of taking care of yourself.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .