Cal football tailback Marcel Dancy selected to 2019 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team

Joshua Jordan/File

Fresh off the best collegiate game of his career, Cal running back Marcel Dancy has made headlines once again, this time off the field. 

The redshirt junior was named to the 2019 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team on Thursday morning, along with 21 other players and one coach, who were selected by a voting panel from a pool of 137 nominees. 

The team consists of student-athletes who exemplify leadership to local communities. Dancy is one of 11 student-athletes from the NCAA FBS level, while the others hail from the FCS, Division II, Division III and the NAIA levels.

Raised in nearby Oakland, Dancy serves as a certified youth football coach for the Oakland Dynamites Youth Football & Cheer organization, a program committed to building future leaders in the community both on and off of the field. 

“I’m truly grateful to be selected for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team®,” Dancy said in a statement. “I have to thank the University of California for nominating me for this prestigious award, and not only recognizing the work that the Dynamites and myself are doing for the youth in Oakland, but actually coming out and helping us in our efforts to grow these young people through the sport of youth football. I also want to thank my mother and father for instilling in me the each one teach one mentality. That’s what it’s really all about, helping these young people grow and become the best they can possibly be.”

With his selection, Dancy is the fourth Cal football representative to be named to the team. Linebacker Nick Forbes and running back Jeffrey Coprich were selected in 2014, while running back Patrick Laird was recognized in 2018. 

“Marcel is passionate about working with young people and giving back to the community,” said Cal football head coach Justin Wilcox in a statement. “He is a tremendous role model to anyone looking to succeed in life and an inspiration to so many. I’m so happy for him that he is being honored for his good works.”

Josh Yuen covers football. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.