2 men hit, killed on Union Pacific railroad tracks in West Berkeley

Google/Courtesy

Two men were hit by a train and killed on the Union Pacific railroad tracks near Fourth Street and Bancroft Way on Thursday night, as was reported by the Mercury News.

About 8:09 p.m., the men — whose names have not been released by the coroner’s office — were hit by Amtrak’s San Joaquin Train 717, which runs from Bakersfield to Oakland.

Amtrak officials called the Berkeley Police Department to report the incident, Lt. Dave Lindenau told Berkeleyside.

Brian Harryman, battalion chief at the Berkeley Fire Department also told Berkeleyside that the Fire Department responded to the incident and talked to the train driver, who had stopped the train. According to Harryman, the train’s engineer added that it took him a quarter-mile to stop the train.

The men who were hit had been living in encampments near University Avenue but were evicted earlier in the week, Andrea Henson — an advocate who was working with them — told Berkeleyside.

None of the train’s crew members or passengers were injured, and they were bussed to the Emeryville and Jack London Square stations, according to the Mercury News.

Mallika Seshadri is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SeshadriMallika.