Former UC Berkeley student faces 7 felony charges in court, proceedings begin

Berkeley Police Department/Courtesy

The preliminary court hearing against former campus student and 20-year-old Finn Wolff, who allegedly sexually assaulted two women, ended Monday and determined that Wolff will be tried on seven out of the eight felony counts at his next court date.

Wolff was charged with three counts of forcible rape, two counts of forcible oral copulation, one count of sexual battery by restraint and two counts of sexual penetration by a foreign object. If convicted, Wolff would have to permanently register as a sex offender, according to court documents, among other penalties.

Wolff was arrested by the Berkeley Police Department in May in connection to two separate incidents reported by two different women. One incident allegedly occurred in November 2017, and the other allegedly occurred in March of this year. Both alleged incidents took place off campus, according to BPD.

Wolff, who first enrolled in fall 2017, has not been a student on campus since spring 2019, according to campus spokesperson Adam Ratliff. During his time on campus, Wolff was also a member of the fraternity Phi Kappa Psi until he was expelled from the organization in connection to the allegations in December 2018, according to Parker Caldwell, Phi Kappa Psi president.

“The reported behavior is contrary to our core beliefs,” Caldwell said in an email. “As a chapter, we have a zero-tolerance policy on violence, of any kind, towards women. We take all allegations seriously and act accordingly, as we did in this instance.”

The women who reported the incidents wish to remain anonymous and testified at the preliminary hearings. They both alleged that Wolff was violent and aggressive, claiming that he left them injured with bruises and broken skin and that one woman’s injuries took months to heal.

Wolff’s next court date is set for Sept. 30 at the René C. Davidson Courthouse in Oakland.

Kate Finman is a news reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.