ASUC Senate holds regular meeting, discusses community events

Kate Finmann/Staff

The ASUC Senate held its regular meeting Wednesday night, discussing different upcoming community events as well as plans to improve campus.

The meeting began with three guest announcements. Campus senior Yongqi Gan, who serves as the chair of the Wellness Fee Advisory Committee, notified the senate about its grant application process for new wellness and diversity wellness service funding, which will be open until Oct. 6.

Campus sophomore Allison Lu addressed the senate next about the group PERIOD at UC Berkeley, which is working to destigmatize menstruation in society.

“For the longest time, menstruation has been such a taboo topic, and that’s really impacted the way that we menstruators have had to deal with that,” Lu said. “It’s time for the university to take some responsibility for providing these (period products).”

Lu updated the senate on her organization’s plans for a National Period Day Rally, which the group is planning to hold in October on Sproul Plaza.

Finally, a representative from UC Berkeley Matriculate, a campus service organization that helps low-income high school students with college applications, spoke to the senate about the organization’s mission and progress.

The senate then heard executive office announcements, including from Academic Affairs Vice President Aastha Jha, who said she is working to expand printing opportunities on campus with mobile print stations. The executive updates were followed by ASUC official officer reports in which Judicial Council chair Jonathan Fuentes gave his resignation to the senate, as he is graduating after this semester.

“The friends that I have cultivated over the past two years (through the ASUC) have been with the greatest and brightest students at this university,” Fuentes said. “My heart is full of gratitude for my time on the Judicial Council.”

The senate approved Fuentes’ replacement, campus freshman Christopher Jin, who will start immediately, according to Chief Legal Officer Jedidiah Tsang. The senate also released its preliminary advocacy agenda to the public, although it has yet to be finalized, according to Tsang. Senator Media Sina, the chair of the University and External Affairs Committee, said they expect the agenda to be finalized by next week.

The agenda currently contains goals regarding diversity and inclusion, academic support, professional development, basic needs and sustainability, among other topics.

Katherine Finman is the lead student government reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.