BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 04, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

3-star cornerback recruit Collin Gamble announces commitment to Cal

ANA ISABEL DIAZ | FILE

SEPTEMBER 22, 2019

Gambling doesn’t always pay off, but it sure did for No.15 Cal football.

Three-star cornerback recruit and Liberty Christian School product Collin Gamble pledged his footballing future to Cal earlier today, announcing his commitment in a tweet on Sunday.

The 185 pound, 5’11” senior received offers from numerous top-tier football schools, including Notre Dame, Utah and Michigan, all of which are ranked among the top 25 this week.

As a junior, Gamble notched 45 tackles, four interceptions and two defensive touchdowns. He will be a notable addition to defensive backs coach Gerald Alexander’s secondary, among a Bears’ defense that has allowed only two passing touchdowns and 657 rushing yards this season.

His speed and agility will provide further depth at cornerback, currently manned by the likes of Camryn Bynum and Elijah Hicks, who have combined for 207 career tackles.

In the tweet, Gamble cites the quality of the athletic facilities, high academic standards and experienced coaching staff as his reasons for committing to Cal. The high school senior will join the Bears on the gridiron next season after completing his final season of varsity football for the Liberty Christian Warriors.

Emily Ohman covers football. Contact her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @emilyohman34.

SEPTEMBER 22, 2019