Free student services on campus you must utilize

Ariel Hayat/File

UC Berkeley is a competitive school. In exchange for a great education, we’re constantly studying or stressing out. Some of the reasons that make UC Berkeley a great university, however, are the number of free services available to students. Trust us, these services will make your college life much easier and more efficient.

Career Center

From resume workshops to mock interviews, the Career Center can really guide you in preparation for life after college. You can’t do it alone, and you don’t have to. No matter how much you try to keep yourself in the loop, there will always be resources you miss out on and info sessions you can’t make. This is where the Career Center can help you. They have professional advisors who can connect you to the many resources available for students here — and can help you network and connect with alumni. Make use of the Career Center, and prepare smartly for life after college!

Student Learning Center

Everyone has passed by the Student Learning Center while walking to class, but how many have actually stepped inside and utilized the diverse tutoring services available at the center? If you visit their website, you can find the full range of services that are offered! From group tutoring sessions or private ones, to drop-in hours and appointments, the student center is filled with tutors, writers and lecturers that are paid to help you succeed in your classes.

Free counseling sessions

The competitive environment and constant stress can’t be good for your mental health. For struggling students — basically everyone — the Tang Center offers students up to five free counseling sessions with professionals. You can also sign up for peer counseling if you want to talk to someone more relatable. Mental health is just as important, if not more so, than your physical health. Always keep it in check, and remember that these services are available to you if you need guidance!

BearWALK (Shuttle)

We’ve all heard about the BearWALK program during our Golden Bear Orientation days. When it’s dark, you can call a BearWALK safety officer to walk you home, which is great considering how scary it can be to walk home alone at night. Not many students know, however, about the door-to-door shuttle service available from 3 to 6 a.m.. You can literally call a shuttle from anywhere near campus and get dropped off right at home! It’s the best when you’re studying until late at night.

Many students regret disregarding these services during their time at UC Berkeley. Remember that you’re not alone. All these services (and more) are implemented to help you succeed and make the most out of your time here, so make use of them!

Contact Christina Kim at [email protected].