Study survival guide: Things you must bring to all your study sessions

Illustration of person studying and listening to music
Caragh McErlean/File

When you dash out the door in the early hours of the morning to get to class on time, making sure you have your studying essentials for the day might not be the first thing on your mind. To make things easier for you, here is a list that includes the five things you must bring to every study session.

Headphones

Listening to music while you study is a matter of preference. Some people enjoy the calming benefits, while others find it difficult to concentrate — so ultimately the choice is yours. But when someone sits next to you in the library and talks really loudly or you can hear their music playing, you’ll be grateful that you remembered to bring along a mechanism to block out the sound.

Jacket

If you’re planning on studying at a library that is known for being particularly chilly (we’re looking at you Main Stacks), don’t forget to pack a jacket. You may feel fine spending a couple of hours sans sweater after a long day of running around campus, but eventually, you’ll be desperately seeking a means of warmth in what feels like the Arctic.

Snack

Studying is a workout, so it’s only natural that you’d feel hungry during hours spent working on assignments. Packing a snack will ease your grumbling stomach and save you money. When we say snack, however, we really mean snack. Eating a light snack at the library is understandable, but the students sitting next to you might not be too pleased if you bring out an entire pizza box.

Water bottle

Don’t forget your water bottle on the way to the library! Getting up every time just to get a sip of water from the fountain can be a hassle when you’re trying to concentrate on your schoolwork. With a water bottle, you can spend more time on your assignments and stay hydrated.

Chargers

If you’re planning on staying at the library for quite some time, be sure to take a charger for each of your appliances. Although you may be committed to working several hours, your laptop and phone might not be and you definitely don’t want to risk one of your devices dying on you. Carry a phone and laptop charger with you so that both you and your electronics can be equally charged and ready to go.

The next time you find yourself wondering if you’ve got everything you need, check out our study survival list.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .