Fallin’ for Berkeley: How to make the most of the season

Sunny Shen/Staff

Aahh, fall. The perfect time to snuggle up in a warm sweater and stroll among the fallen leaves. But the last time we checked, the weather in Berkeley is sunny with highs in the 70s for days to come, and the leaves on the trees don’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Even though we might not get a stereotypical fall experience in Berkeley, there are still plenty of ways you can experience the season. We at the Clog have compiled a list of a few ways for you to make the most of this wonderful season!

Wander the aisles of Trader Joe’s

There’s no better way to experience a season than through the food that comes along with the change in season. As college students, we all know that food is in high demand and money is tight. Luckily for us, this grocery store lies at the crossroads of affordability and tastiness. Trader Joe’s goes all out for fall, selling everything from pumpkin pie-spiced ginger beer to pumpkin bagels with pumpkin cream cheese. If you’re not a fan of pumpkin, they also have many apple and maple-flavored special edition items. For those of you not so ready to experiment with the more untraditional products, the pumpkin bread mix is a reliable go-to, easy to make and will smell amazing when you bake it!

Take a hike

You may not notice the leaves changing colors and falling to the ground as you walk around Berkeley, but taking a hike can still give you perspective on the changing seasons. Whether it’s the Big C or the Berkeley Fire Trails, getting out and getting an amazing view of the Bay is sure to add some spice to your season. Luckily, we don’t have to worry about temperatures dropping and the sunny weather makes for ideal hiking conditions.

Start planning for Halloween

With Halloween now just over a month away, it’s not too early to start planning! Figuring out what to dress up as always takes longer than expected, and putting up fun decorations is sure to get you in the fall spirit.

Visit your local farmers market

What better way to experience the harvest season in Berkeley than taking a trip to the farmers market? Every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Center Street between Milvia Street and Martin Luther King Jr Way in Downtown is filled with the freshest fruits and vegetables, baked goods, plants and prepared foods. Not only will taking a trip here fill your bags with great food, it will also help out local farmers in our community!

We at the Clog hope you have a wonderful start to your fall, however you choose to experience it!

Contact Beatrice Aronson at [email protected] .