BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Goodbye vanilla lattes, hello yerba mate: Reasons to make the switch to yerba mate

IRELAND WAGNER | STAFF

SEPTEMBER 27, 2019

One week. Seven days. One hundred and sixty-eight hours since I last had coffee. As the coffee exited my bloodstream, I thought I would for sure experience serious withdrawal symptoms. But, I’ve never felt better or more energized in my entire life. Why? Yerba mate.

Traditional yerba mate is a tea-like drink made from the dried leaves of a native South American plant. That is where the drink originated and it is extremely popular in most countries there. In fact, it’s consumed in 98 percent of Argentine households! If it has so many amazing benefits and is so popular in South America, you may be wondering why it’s not as big here in the United States — I had never even heard of it until last week! Because of the fact that it’s only produced in certain areas, yerba mate can be extremely difficult to get your hands on. Luckily for us, you can find canned versions of this beverage made with yerba mate extract — you’ve probably seen these cans everywhere on campus. Here are three reasons why you should make the switch and hop on the yerba mate bandwagon.

Caffeine

First and foremost, yerba mate is a caffeinated beverage! When most of us are looking for that kick-start in the morning to get us through our day, we turn to our favorite coffee. While I’ve been one of the strongest coffee enthusiasts out there, I’ve always hated the occasional extreme jitters and racing heart that accompanies its caffeine. Yerba mate has a similar amount of caffeine to coffee, but the caffeine and its effects differ greatly. Similar to coffee, yerba mate is great for stimulating and helping with focus, but where they differ is yerba mate gives you a balanced energy boost instead of hitting you all at once. This soothes your mind rather than over-charging it. Because of this, you are never bouncing off the walls and can finally sleep peacefully through the night — it’s a win-win!

Physical effects

When it comes to affecting physical aspects of the body, there are no shortcomings with yerba mate. Athletes of all kinds turn to yerba mate not only for energy boosts, but also for its healing qualities. It’s been said to help with muscle fatigue, headaches and inflammation. Studies have also shown it can help with stomach cleansing and maintaining a clear digestive tract. Another enticing quality of yerba mate is its ability to aid in weight loss. We’re not saying it’ll instantly make you lose weight, but it gives your metabolism a boost and is definitely a healthier alternative to a Starbucks Frappuccino. Yerba mate truly does it all!

Immune system

As we’re all adjusting to new environments, it seems like every sickness imaginable is being spread across campus so it’s important to do what you can to stay ahead of it. For example, Guayakí Yerba Mate’s ingredient list names endless vitamins, minerals and antibacterial and antioxidant components. One of yerba mate’s best-known properties is its ability to help strengthen your immune system. It never hurts to have some extra protection — a yerba mate a day keeps the doctor away!

Hop on that bandwagon and join the rest of the campus community as we ditch our vanilla lattes and grab our cans of yerba mate!

Contact Jackie Amendola at 

SEPTEMBER 27, 2019