Let’s taco ’bout Tuesday: Where you should spend your next Tuesday night

Sunny Shen/Staff

For some UC Berkeley students, Tuesday is for getting into the swing of their weekly grind — and they end up spending the evening hitting the books at Main Stacks. For others, Tuesday is for two dollar tacos and half-off margaritas. If your lifestyle fits into the first category, save your eyes and read something else — but if you’re the latter, this is a great guide for all your taco needs. 

Whether you’re chilling with friends or looking to get flirty, Raleigh’s Pub is the place for you. Their typical crowd ranges from college kids to young professionals, and every once in a while, a middle-aged dog owner; if you know you know. They offer patrons two dollar tacos (fish, chicken or beef) alongside five dollar margaritas. If you are a fish fan, like I am, head in early because they often run out.  The bar offers a cozy and inviting ambiance: an interior painted in warm tones, accented with a corner fireplace and an outdoor patio complete with string lights. Raleigh’s has become increasingly popular and packed the last few months, and it will only grow in the future. So, if you’re looking to catch up with friends over a few cheap margaritas and tacos, Raleigh’s may be the Tuesday night vibe you’re looking for. You may even find yourself participating in a game of bocce ball!

If that isn’t quite your scene, head on over to the one and only Kip’s Bar and Grill. It’s nestled in the upper back corner of the Sather Lane shopping complex, and it oozes a college town feel.   With its loud music, pool table and wall projector (typically playing sports during the day), Kip’s is more of a wild card. The bar can be crazy lit one day, with pumping music and tons of dancing — and the next day be pretty much a dud. Regardless of its unpredictable nature, Tuesdays give off a chill young adult feel.  They serve surprisingly delicious one dollar tacos (beef, chicken and tofu) and three dollar Coronas with lime. If you’re a vegetarian, I highly recommend stopping in and trying out their tofu option. It could be the fact that it’s the beginning of the week, but you won’t experience the rowdy Kip’s weekend crowd the bar is known for. Instead, you can use the laid back and mature atmosphere to catch a sports game, play a round of pool with a buddy or meet a stranger at the bar.  Kip’s just may be worth adding on your radar. 

There you have it, folks! If you are a Taco Tuesday regular, or just looking to expand your Tuesday night horizons, here are a couple spots definitely worth checking out. Next stop – Pappy’s Grill & Sports Bar …

Contact Summer Kailani at [email protected].