BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 02, 2022

UCPD report shows decrease in most categories of crime from 2017

ALLEN ZENG | STAFF

OCTOBER 02, 2019

The 2019 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report released by UCPD shows an overall decrease in crime from 2017, but student representatives and UCPD agree there is still much to be done.

In addition to crime and fire statistics from the previous three years, the report contains current security policies and a variety of campus safety resources. This year’s report shows decreases in “almost all” categories of crime from 2017-18, according to UCPD Chief Margo Bennett. Some of these decreases were significant, others minor.

Bennett attributes the moderate decrease in crime statistics to “continued collaboration with our campus community,” including new building plans which incorporate more safety equipment such as security cameras and key card access checks.

“The most frequent crime on campus remains thefts that occur when property is left unattended,” Bennett said in an email.

These thefts commonly target bicycles, laptops and cell phones left in locations where people know high-value equipment is left out. Despite a slight decrease from 2017, these burglaries are still common, Bennett said in an email.

Setting aside the decrease from 2017-18, however, ASUC Senator Milton Zerman expressed concern as “the report shows that there has been no statistically significant decrease in violent crimes over the past several years.”

Zerman said in an email this is “a testament” to a lack of sufficient action on behalf of campus officials and the city of Berkeley. In order to address safety concerns on campus, particularly the issue of many students feeling unsafe when walking at night, Zerman explained in the email that he is pushing for improving lighting in South Berkeley, implementing ID scanners for ASUC buildings and placing more security cameras around the Clark Kerr Campus.

“I don’t think that we’re in a crisis mode,” ASUC Senator Rebecca Soo said, “but I see a lot of areas for improvement.”

Soo is building a security initiative in order to assess previous attempts at improving campus security and create new strategies. Soo said she is also building a stronger relationship with UCPD in order to coordinate action.

Soo added that her current focus is improving lighting on and around campus, as well as coordinating with representatives of marginalized communities to identify vulnerable areas.

“We are trying to make sure that the resources we do have are being well-used and are accessible to everyone,” Soo said.

According to Bennett, in order to find ways to prevent future crimes and improve safety on campus, it is useful to look at the trends in the security report.

“Safety in and around our campus is UCPD’s top priority,” Bennett said. “We will continue to focus on crimes that impact quality of life for our students, staff, faculty and visitors to our campus.”

Contact Alexandra Feldman at 

OCTOBER 03, 2019