BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Don't say 'cheese': Best ways to smile for photos

ARMAAN MUMTAZ | STAFF

OCTOBER 04, 2019

Whether you’re taking headshots for professional pictures or your graduation pictures, your smile is crucial. It costs a lot of money to hire a photographer, so why not make the most out of your time with them? Here are some tips to ensure that you’ll be prepared for your photo shoot.

Don’t say “cheese”

We’re all used to saying “cheese” when preparing for a shot, but saying “cheese” won’t help create a naturally beautiful smile. According to Hollywood tricks, a more adequate word is “money!” since this movement of the lips makes the smile look more natural. Also, if we’re being honest, thinking about money won’t hurt with making us smile.

Relax your face and jaw muscles

Nobody wants to see a tense facial expression in photos. When you’re nervous, it’s pretty clear in your facial expression. Take some time to consciously relax these muscles; the natural smile will come on its own! This is a tip that seems pretty obvious, yet it can be hard to put into practice when you have a camera in front of you. But, just remember to relax!

The tongue-touch trick

Many professional photographers suggest placing your tongue on the roof of your mouth and smiling without your teeth. This tightens the muscles in your face and neck, which will help you create a sharper jawline and a more defined facial shape and natural smile. 

Smile with your eyes

A fake smile tends to only have the lower half of the face engaged with the lips curled into a smile. This can make the smile look forced and not very genuine, which is the opposite of what everyone wants. You should pay extra attention to the way your eyes smile with your lips when taking a photo — this can make all the difference.

Here are some of the ways you can improve your smile when taking photos. With everything said, just remember to relax and have fun during your photo shoot — doing so will create natural and beautiful photos that will last a lifetime.

Contact Christina Kim at 

OCTOBER 04, 2019