Let’s taco ’bout it: Celebrate National Taco Day with these amazing tofu tacos

Kelly Fong/Staff

Let’s taco ’bout how crazily good and simple tacos are. They’re extremely easy to make but filled with an array of flavor and will keep you begging for more! National Taco Day is finally here, and everyone should be able to celebrate it. We’re calling all our vegetarians out here to try out this amazingly delicious tofu taco recipe! The sauce is what wraps everything together, and it’s just made with four simple ingredients: sriracha, mayonnaise, sour cream and a hint of lime juice. I literally cannot stop raving about these tacos. Please try them out, you won’t regret it, I promise. 

Ingredients:

Tofu –

14 ounces tofu  

1 tablespoon soy sauce 

1 tablespoon olive oil 

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin 

1 teaspoon paprika 

½ teaspoon garlic powder  

½ teaspoon pepper 

½ teaspoon onion powder  

½ teaspoon salt  

Coleslaw – 

2 cups shredded cabbage 

½ cup mayonnaise 

¼ cup chopped cilantro 

½ of a lime

Sauce –

3 tablespoons mayonnaise 

3 tablespoons sour cream  

3 tablespoons water 

½ teaspoon garlic powder 

½ teaspoon cumin 

½ teaspoon sriracha 

½ of a lime 

Begin by drying your tofu. This step is crucial as you don’t want your tofu to be super soggy when placing them on the tortilla. You can use a tofu press or you can simply use a paper towel to firmly press the water out.

In a large bowl, place the soy sauce, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder and salt and mix. It should almost be like a paste. Crumble the tofu into the bowl, and make sure the tofu is evenly covered in the sauce. Once that is done, you can place the tofu mixture on the stove over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. 

Kelly Fong | Staff

To make the coleslaw, place the coleslaw, mayonnaise, chopped cilantro and lime juice into a large bowl and mix everything together, making sure the sauce is evenly distributed. 

Kelly Fong | Staff

Now, we can move on to make the best part of the dish: the sauce! In a medium-sized bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic powder, cumin, sriracha and lime juice together. This should be a pretty thick mixture. Add about 3 tablespoons of water into the mixture to make it less thick. 

Kelly Fong | Staff

And all that is left to do now is assemble your taco in your favorite tortilla! This entire recipe takes about 30 minutes to make and the only thing you have to cook is the tofu — and you’re pretty much just heating it up. After that, you just have to toss all the ingredients together to make the sauce and coleslaw and then the tacos are ready to be enjoyed!