6 places to de-stress, take a break around Berkeley

Sam Albillo/Staff

Hello Golden Bears, midterm season is upon us and our stress levels are back to UC Berkeley standards, aka off the charts. It’s only week six, but most of us have already finished our first round of midterms and are starting to study for the next ones as they’re just a couple of weeks away. As we welcome back late nights at Moffitt Library and getting less than five hours of sleep per night, it’s important to remember to take some time for yourself each week. I cannot stress the importance of self-care enough. It’s what keeps you going when you’re extremely overwhelmed by your five midterms this week or having papers and projects for different classes due on the same day. It’s so cliché to say, but a happy you will make school so much more bearable and studying more productive. Also, you’re only in your twenties once! Don’t let the stress of school congest it. Here are just a few things you can do around Berkeley if you ever need to de-stress and take a quick break from studying.

Visit the Berkeley Marina

Going outside and getting fresh air is one of my favorite ways of de-stressing and the Berkeley Marina is the perfect place to do it. It provides a great lookout point of the Golden Gate Bridge and it has many picnic tables and grassy spots where you’re able to sit and enjoy the view! What is also so great about the Marina is that the 51B takes you directly there! So stop by Trader Joe’s on the way to pick up a couple of items for a picnic and enjoy a day soaking in the sun, the magnificent view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the fresh breeze!

Hike around Berkeley

Hiking is an alternative or a supplement to the Berkeley Marina if you’re looking to get some fresh air and surround yourself with something that is not a library. There are a ton of hiking trails around Berkeley from the Big C to the fire trails behind Clark Kerr Campus that provide a stunning view of the city. Sweat out your stress with some of Berkeley’s best trails!

Get a manicure/pedicure

Treat yourself with some nice nails! As I mentioned before, self-care is extremely important in maintaining a healthy mindset and lifestyle in college. Reward yourself for the things you’re proud of or you’ve accomplished. The accomplishment could be as small as finishing a chapter in your textbook or as big as acing your CS 61B midterm. I really enjoy getting my nails done because when I’m stressing at Moffitt at 3 a.m. and I look down at my nails and they look cute AF, it just makes me feel a tiny bit better. If you’re looking for the best place to get a manicure/pedicure around campus, Versailles Nails Spa down on College Avenue is where it’s at!

Retail therapy 

Who doesn’t love a little bit of retail therapy in their life? I do! Thank god for the power of the internet that allows us to stay in our comfy beds while we get our retail therapy in. But if you’re looking to shop outside of your computer screen, Fourth Street is one of the perfect places to do it in Berkeley. You can spend the first half of your day at Artís Coffee studying and then reward yourself by looking at the shops down Fourth Street. Fourth Street is filled with little boutiques and large retail stores like Apple, Anthropologie, Sephora, Lululemon, Madewell and Marine Layer.    

Watch a movie

After a long day of studying, winding down to your favorite movie or TV show just hits the spot. If you want to get out of your house, there are a ton of movie theaters in Downtown Berkeley within 0.1 miles away from each other. So you have lots of options!

Go to Albany Bowl

Albany Bowl is one of the bowling alleys closest to campus. Bowling is a fun way to get your mind off of school and enjoy time with your friends! They stay open until 2 a.m. on most days, so you could literally spend the entire day studying and then head over to the bowling alley around 11 p.m. to relieve your stress and have a good time with friends.

Stress is inevitable in college, but we can always influence the impact it has on our lives. Don’t let the anxiety and stress of projects, midterms and papers take over your life. Self-care is the key to not letting that happen! Good luck Golden Bears and happy studying!

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].