BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

An open letter to ramen: We'll be together, forever

PXHERE | CREATIVE COMMONS

OCTOBER 07, 2019

My dearest beloved spicy mushroom noodles,

I first met you at the tender age of a toddler, in the form of a simple and plain veggie broth noodle soup. I remember having to constantly chew, because each noodle was so long, and my little mouth couldn’t handle it yet. My mother says I loved you from the first bite and that you became my snack after kindergarten almost every day.

Thus our story began. After a trip to the grocery store, I realized that the simple flavor of ramen I’d been faithfully eating for years now was not the only option. You could be sweeter, saltier, even spicier. I made it my life’s mission to try any flavor I could find, as long as it was vegetarian. Being in Southeast Asia, you were everywhere, and I took advantage. What was it about you that I fell in love with at such a young age? Surely MSG couldn’t be the only thing holding me captive, right?

Then, finally, I met the one I would love for the rest of my life: the spicy mushroom flavor by Nongshim. It’s safe to say that at this point, I was addicted to the idea of you, but what would anyone say? There was no ramen rehab. No one cared if I ate noodles multiple times a week as long as I got my five kinds of fruits and vegetables every day. You, my favorite five-minute meal, are the one who’s always had my back no matter the weather or the time.

Spicy, salty, mushroomy. You loved me for spending all the money in my wallet on you, and I loved you for making my stomach warm and giving me a sense of satiety I’d get nowhere else. While it became trendy to put toppings on instant ramen, be it a cooked egg in some way or simply some green onions, I steadfastly loved you for you, in your purest form.

You then disappeared from grocery store shelves. Someone decided your vegetarian equivalent wasn’t significantly popular, I suppose. You left my life as quickly as you’d marched in, leaving me and my stomach hollow. Fate was cruel to us, and now you’re gone.

I miss you, and I hope to see your curly strands of wheat again soon.

Longingly,

Your one true love

Contact Chandini Dialani at [email protected].

OCTOBER 08, 2019