How to add a little Thai curry to your life

Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Salty, tangy and spicy; Thai curry is all you need in comfort food. Sometimes, however, you just want the flavors of Thai curry without the endless amounts of rice that seem to always accompany it. Whether its because youre just not particularly hungry or on a low carb diet, we at the Clog believe that Thai curry should be accessible to all, so we have curated a list of recipe ideas for this very purpose. Moreover, you dont even need to go through the hassle of making your own curry paste or finding obscure Thai produce because each of these ideas starts off with just a jar of Thai curry paste.

Dip

This one is perfect for when you have your friends around and you just want a little snack to eat while watching a movie or simply catching up. Chips and dip are always the perfect choices but salsa, guacamole or ranch can get a little bit tedious after the 10th time. Never fear, the Clogs got your back! Mix a spoonful of Thai curry paste into some coconut cream and youve got your basic Thai curry dip! If you want to add some more texture, feel free to put some shrimp or tofu in.

Soup

Sure, you might think this one is pointless in the face of other Thai soups such as tom yum or tom kha gai. The richness added from a good Thai curry paste is completely different from the refreshing tanginess of these other soups, however. To make a Thai-curry-reminiscent soup, bring some vegetable or fish stock to a boil and stir in your paste, adding lime juice and soy sauce along with your proteins and vegetables of choice to getting a heartwarming bowl of delight.

Baked vegetables

This one sounds simple, and truly is. For a delicious, healthy dinner, simply create a Thai-inspired dressing by mixing some of trusty curry paste with vegetable oil and lime juice. Liberally coat your vegetables in the sauce and roast them for about 20 minutes in a preheated oven. For more textures and a more authentic flavor combination, feel free to add crushed peanuts and desiccated coconut on the top.

Marinade

This marinade is perfect for skewers and cooking your proteins, adding a refreshing spin to barbecue. Add lime juice, dark brown sugar and soy sauce to your curry paste, and mix it until well incorporated. Be sure to leave the marinade thick enough for the sauce to cling onto the food you want to marinate, and be sure to marinate things for a few hours or even overnight. The longer you allow food to marinate, the more the lime juice can tenderize the proteins and the better the texture! After marination, skewer your meat or tofu and roast until well-charred (but not burned)!

We hope you use the ideas to make the most of Thai curry paste and get some new dishes in your repertoire! Happy cooking!

Contact Chandini Dialani at [email protected].