National Mushroom Day: UC Berkeley buildings as types of mushrooms

PxHere/Creative Commons

Happy National Mushroom Day! To celebrate this special holiday, we at the Clog have compiled a list of UC Berkeley buildings and their mushroom doppelgängers. There are many types of mushrooms, some of which you love, some of which you hate, and each with their own distinctive personalities. Similarly, each building on campus has its own personality, and some are definitely more likable than others. 

Portobello mushrooms as Doe Memorial Library

Doe Library and portobello mushrooms are both widely known and recognized. When we think of the typical mushroom, we think of the portobello, and when we think of typical libraries, we think of Doe. Portobello mushrooms are fairly versatile and can be large enough for the cap to be used as substitutes for burgers or buns. Similarly, Doe is versatile in the sense that any type of work can be done here, and it also serves as the cap over Main Stacks.

White button mushrooms as Dwinelle Hall

The most commonly consumed type of mushroom can only be represented as Dwinelle Hall. Just as the white button mushroom is impossible to escape, no students can escape having classes in Dwinelle at some point. These mushrooms are found in all types of dishes from pasta to pizza to salad, similarly to how classes on topics ranging from calculus to rhetoric are held in Dwinelle.

Shiitake mushrooms as Moffitt Library

Although they might be somewhat ugly on the outside, shiitake mushrooms are some of the most flavorful and widely liked mushrooms. Their meaty taste goes with almost everything — correspondingly, Moffitt is open at all times of the day, contains options for studying with different noise levels and is one of the most popular libraries on campus.

Enoki mushrooms as the Campanile

These long, thin mushrooms with their distinctive look and crunch undoubtedly represent the Campanile. They’re a unique and integral part of the mushroom family, just as the Campanile is unique and integral to UC Berkeley’s campus.

Death cap mushrooms as Evans Hall

Poisonous death cap mushrooms are neither pretty to look at nor to eat. Evans Hall is arguably one of the ugliest buildings on campus, and no class in there is ever too fun. Therefore, the two go hand in hand.

Whether you love or hate mushrooms, you cannot deny their importance in the culinary world. Likewise, whether you love or hate UC Berkeley, you have to admit that its an incredibly important school that has made a huge impact on the world.

Contact Beatrice Aronson at [email protected].