4 things to do with your family this Parents’ Weekend

Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Homecoming weekend is upon us! It’s time to clean your room and make it seem like you have your life together, as the parentals are coming! UC Berkeley does a really nice job of planning fun activities for parents and families to explore the school, but they aren’t for everyone. Here are some other ideas for how to entertain your family this weekend if none of the planned activities quite catch your eye.

Take them to San Francisco 

San Francisco is just a short BART ride away. Take advantage of our school’s great location and go explore the city. If they’ve never been, take them to all the tourist classics: Pier 39, Fisherman’s Wharf, Union Square, Chinatown and any other places that interest you. If they’ve been through the tourist scene, try something new! San Francisco has incredible restaurants and amazing cultural spots to check out. 

Try out a bay cruise 

Taking a bay cruise is a great way to see more of the Bay Area. Gather your family and find the type of cruise you want to do — there are tons of options! Sit back and relax as you travel around the bay and take in its beauty. These can be a tad windy, so make sure to plan accordingly! A bay cruise is the perfect getaway for your family to spend some quality time together while exploring what’s beyond Berkeley.

Go on a hike 

Berkeley has an awesome hiking scene with hikes of all difficulty levels. If you’re looking to get the best view of campus, the Big “C” hike is for you. Be cautious, however, as it’s extremely steep! Go about 6 p.m. to see the sun setting right behind the famous Campanile. Another picturesque hiking spot lies behind the Clark Kerr Campus. The fire trails are super easy to get to and also boast a beautiful view of Berkeley. It’s a great spot for pictures and is less difficult than the Big “C.”

Walk them through your schedule 

While any activities you partake in with your family will be fun, let’s be real — they really just want to see how you live your college life on the daily. Get your tour guide badge on and take them through your normal daily schedule. Bring them into some of the buildings or libraries so they can see where you learn and study. When you’re done on campus, walk them through your route home so they can see that you clearly know your way around and know how to get home safely. It will make it a lot easier for them to leave you if they know you’ve got at least these aspects of your life figured out!

No matter what activities are going on around you on campus, find what works best for you and your family. Whether you take them to San Francisco or to all of your classes, we hope you and your family have a great weekend together at UC Berkeley!

Contact Jackie Amendola at [email protected].