Berkeley police arrest man on suspicion of threatening to shoot local businesses

Around 8:30 p.m. Oct. 11, Berkeley Police Department officers responded to the 3200 block of Adeline Street after receiving reports of a man who had fired a gun into two adjacent businesses, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Derrick Slade, a 25-year-old Black man with no permanent address, had gone to a barbershop to receive a haircut and reportedly became upset when employees told him that the business was closing.

Slade then allegedly threatened to come back to the store later to shoot the employees, and made several disparaging comments about Asian and Mexican employees in South Berkeley businesses, according to Berkeleyside.

After walking to neighboring businesses, Slade allegedly returned to the barbershop and brandished a weapon that looked like a handgun. The employees locked themselves in the business and he reportedly fired twice before allegedly walking to a neighboring business and pointing the weapon at patrons inside, according to Berkeleyside.

Slade was arrested moments later on suspicion of discharging a BB device in a negligent manner, criminal threats, public intoxication, committing a hate crime and violation of probation, according to Berkeleyside.

There were no casualties after the incident and neither business sustained damage, according to Berkeleyside.

Slade was charged Tuesday with two counts of criminal threats and remains in custody at Santa Rita Jail with a bail of $105,000. His pretrial hearing is scheduled for Monday at the René C. Davidson Courthouse in Oakland.

Alex Casey is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @acasey.