Cal cross country struggles for supremacy in Indiana, Santa Clara

Phillip Downey/File

Saturdays are always a big deal for Cal cross country, especially on Saturdays when the team travels around the country to compete in races with nationally ranked teams. 

This Saturday was no exception.

A majority of the female athletes traveled to Indiana to compete in the Under Armour Pre-National Invitational, while the men stayed behind in California to compete in the Bronco Invitational at Santa Clara University.

Cal saw outstanding performances on Saturday from runners in Indiana and also in California.

The Bears’ stint in the more competitive Under Armour tournament did not go as planned, as they placed a meager 21st in the invitational, failing to supersede the other Pac-12 athletes in the tournament, as well as the other top-ranked competitors.

Cal’s redshirt sophomore Mina Anglero was once again the first-place finisher for the Bears, as she finished with a time of 20:53.5, placing 42nd. However, this was a stark regression from her sixth-place finish at the Capital Cross invitational three weeks ago.

Sophomore Marea Zlatunich followed Anglero, with a time of 21:32.6. Junior Annie Boos took third out of the women on Cal’s team with a time of 21:38.4.

In the lower-tier open race, the Bears chosen by cross country first-year head coach Bobby Lockhart made their best effort but failed to place in the top 20.

Senior Marissa Dobry finished in 21st place with a time of 22:17.9, freshman Sara Osterberg placed 26th, posting 22:30.8.

A few states away in California, both the men’s and women’s teams had notable performances at the Bronco Invitational.

Junior Elizabeth Ordeman finished with a time of 21:35.0 in the women’s invitational and placed 48th overall, but first on the Cal team. Freshman Kalinda Reynolds followed behind her with a time of 22:13.1, and freshman Natalie Weiner ran a time of 22:19.8, placing third out of the women on the Cal team.

On the men’s team, sophomore Colin FitzGerald impressively placed 22nd in the invite and first on the Cal team with a speedy time of 24:38.3. Sophomore Shane Bissell ran a time of 24:54.2 and was second for the Cal men.

The Santa Clara course was quick and challenging, but definitely rewarding for runners who finished with fast times.

In two weeks the team will compete at the Pac-12 Cross Country Championship in Monmouth, Oregon.

Mia Horne covers cross country. Contact her at [email protected].