Squash the noodle game with this quick, easy pesto ‘zoodles’ recipe

Kelly Fong/Staff

Oh how I do love noodles.

Zoodles (shredded zucchini) will never replace actual noodles, but they are a healthier and lighter alternative and pair well with a homemade pesto sauce, which is extremely easy to make and complements these zoodles just perfectly. Squash your hunger with this easy pesto zoodle recipe!

Ingredients:

1 14-ounce container of prepackaged zoodles (or you can make your own zoodles yourself by using a vegetable spiralizer) 

2 cups of basil leaves (8 ounces)  

2 tablespoons of walnuts  

2 large cloves of garlic 

½ cup of extra virgin olive oil  

½ cup of shredded parmesan cheese

3 tablespoons of lemon juice  

Pinch of salt and pepper  

Directions:

Using a food processor or blender, blend together the basil leaves, walnuts and garlic until everything is finely minced. Slowly add in the olive oil. Once everything is mixed, you can lightly blend in the parmesan cheese and stir in the lemon juice. I highly recommend you include the lemon juice into this recipe because it enhances the flavors of the pesto and makes it taste 20 times better. Set aside the pesto while you prepare the zoodles. 

Kelly Fong / Staff

Kelly Fong / Staff

If you’re making the zoodles yourself, make sure to dry them properly. I purchased my zoodles from Whole Foods, but you can purchase zoodles from most local grocery stores.

Begin by heating up a large pan with some oil and stir in the zoodles. Cook the zoodles for about four minutes and add in a pinch of salt and pepper. Once the zoodles are warmed up, combine together the zoodles and pesto sauce.

Your pesto zoodles are ready to be devoured. This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make. It’s quick, easy and super healthy!

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].