4 girls arrested after allegedly stealing a UC Berkeley student’s cellphone

Tim Maloney/File

Four girls were arrested after allegedly stealing a campus students cellphone, as was first reported by Berkeleyside.

The girls — all of whom are under the age of 18 — reportedly asked to borrow the campus students cellphone about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday morning on the 2100 block of Shattuck Avenue, according to the Berkeleyside article. The student handed her phone to the girls, who allegedly ran off with it.

Berkeley Police Department Sgt. Veronica Rodrigues told Berkeleyside that the owner of the cellphone and other witnesses followed the girls. She added that after the girls were encouraged to return the cellphone, they allegedly threw it.

According to Rodrigues, one of the girls allegedly proceeded to punch a witness.

Following the incident, one of the girls was arrested on suspicion of grand theft of a cellphone, one was arrested on suspicion of battery and the other two were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy.

Three of the girls were released to their parents and guardians, while one was taken to the Alameda County Juvenile Hall in San Leandro, Rodrigues told Berkeleyside.

Mallika Seshadri is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SeshadriMallika.