Alameda County air advisory in effect for today, urges people to stay indoors

Deborah Chen/File

Update 10/25/2019: This article has been updated to reflect more information from an Alameda County Nixle alert.

Alameda County sent out a Nixle alert Friday morning announcing that an air advisory is in effect for the rest of Friday. The email warns people with lung disease, older adults and children to reduce prolonged or heavy exertion.

Spare the Air advisories are issued when ozone or particulate matter pollution is forecast to reach unhealthy levels. Local air quality is being impacted by smoke from the Kincade fire in Sonoma County, which has burned more than 10,000 acres of land as of press time.

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office warns Bay Area residents to monitor air quality and check on family, friends and neighbors who have respiratory concerns. The email from the county also urges residents to stay indoors. Due to the heat, residents are encouraged to find air-conditioned units if possible to avoid exposure. 

The Oakland Center Weather Service Unit, or CWSU, warned the region in a tweet Thursday morning that Berkeley and the surrounding area can expect smoke directly over the region on Friday.

In the tweet, Oakland CWSU added that wind patterns throughout the day may change the direction of the smoke.

Updates will be posted on the NWS Bay Area Twitter page as well. 

Check back for updates.

Isabella Sabri is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @isabella_sabri.